photo botslide.jpg

Rock 'n' Roll Half-Marathon

Tuesday, March 17, 2015


Photo Courtesy of Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Seattle

Training for my first half-marathon is officially on!  After a cold and wet start this week, I hit the pavement today and thankfully my form as well as the weather seemed to cooperate.  I am feeling pretty good going into my first week; however, I am still floating on that beginner's high...and the thought of being able to eat lots of cookies after long runs.  


My running plan involves 3 runs per week with at least 2 rest days (these old bones need a break), a day of Pure Barre/HIIT and a day of climbing/hiking.  When I start high mileage weeks, I will most likely cut out Pure Barre/HIIT.  Hopefully, my body will continue to adapt and no hips will be broken.  

My Plan - Week of March 15th 
  • Sunday - 30-minute Foundation Run 
  • Monday50-minute Barre
  • Tuesday - 30-minute Tempo Run 
  • Wednesday - Off
  • Thursday - Cross Training
  • Friday - 45-minute Long Run (5-6 miles?)
  • Saturday - Climbing @ Vantage

If you are not familiar with FOUNDATION or TEMPO runs the idea is from Matt Fitzgerald, the author of The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition.  My Foundation run is steady and follows a 5/20/5 split; warm up for 5 minutes, cool down for 5 minutes, and 20 minutes at a steady pace.  The Tempo run also follows a 5/20/5 split; however, the 20 minute portion is faster than your marathon pace.  As I progress, I will start to work in SPEED-PLAY, HILL REPS, and INTERVAL runs as well.  This plan will hopefully build my running fitness and be complete in 12 weeks.  

Just in time to rock it at the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon!  





No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme